Sunday, February 9, 2020

Fishing on Black Friday

With every one of the turkey, family and football the other day, I almost forgot about one of the most extraordinary events of the entire year: Black Friday. Now, at my house, very seldom does anyone wake up before I actually do, especially on weekends. I'm usually headed out the doorway way before dawn to insure that I'm on the water for the early morning bite. However, last Friday the noisy alarms went off prior to my normal time to check out the lake.

I don't know if it's like this at your house, however when the girls wake-up to ready for the afternoon at my house, it's extremely difficult to obtain any further sleep. Most of the lights are switched on, hairdryers are buzzing and I promise that each and every television in the house is either on a music video or that NBC Today show Lake Texoma Fishing Guides. Needless to say, last Friday at 3 A.M. I was wide awake and like my female counterparts, ready to obtain a jump on the competition.

Black Friday is the sole day from the year that I am accompanied when getting all set to go fishing. It had been type of enjoyable to really have a conversation in the morning. After putting on my Gore-Tex cold-weather fishing gear, I didn't even mind getting razzed by the girls about how un-stylish I looked.

After seeing the shoppers off inside their caravan to obtain the bargain of the entire year, I realized that I'd time to kill before meeting my fishing partner Buck Buchanan for our trek to Lake Texoma. Exploring your kitchen table, I saw a sales advertisement for Academy nevertheless something about doors opening at 5 A.M. Convinced that I would have the ability to get a great deal on fishing equipment, I quickly called and alerted Buck of my plans to go to the store.

I was astonished as I arrived at the intersection of Highway 82 and 75. Five each morning resembled rush hour traffic and all parking lots were full. Academy was full of shoppers as we hurried to the fishing section. Apparently stores don't target anglers during these form of sale events. There have been simply no sales in the fishing department for Black Friday. We bought a couple of lures that people needed anyway.

The weather cooperated the other day and Lake Texoma was great as expected. Water temperatures ranged from 57 to 61 degrees and the lake level hovered around 618 feet. I guess a lot of people were either shopping or deer hunting because we simply saw several boats all day long long.

Early in the afternoon a lot of the bass were schooling on shad in the rear of coves. Top-water pop-rs and Zoom flukes fished weightless worked best. Many of these black bass were in the 12 to 15 inch range but could be caught on almost every other cast. Medium to small Crank-baits fished on points also produced several fish as well.

Later in the afternoon whilst the gulls began circling, we headed for deeper water to catch striper and sand bass. Cotton Cordell jigging spoons were the bait of choice. Many of these active silver fish were situated in 15 to 20 feet of water. Numerous times we both had on striper in the 4 to 5 pound range at exactly the same time. It had been a good day to be on the lake to express the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment