Thursday, February 20, 2020

How Many Wrist Watches Do You Think There Are?

I recently began a web business selling watches, and while studying my niche market, I was overwhelmed at the vast array of styles and brands available.

You can pick any brand of watch to find out different styled watches, colour of watch faces, colour of watch bands, Stainless steel watches, gold plated watches even wood watches are available. Whenever you get into the expensive array of watches you locate a whole new array of watches with diamonds, solid gold watches, titanium, and lots of other precious metal watches and jewel filled watches.

The watch movements vary as well from manual to completely electronic with some newer style watches having heart monitors, temperature, speed, and a lot of analytic information available. Then there are dive watches going down to 4000 Mtr, now that's quite a distance down but deep sea divers need reliable watches that could handle the pressure at these depths so it's great to see a variety of wrist watches that cater for the person along with all the other divers who benefit from the ocean or cave diving.

Glamorous watches make up a large part of the industry because everybody wants to look different from the girl next door wooden watch. New watches come available on the market each and every day so keep watching or searching for the favourite design of watch, there's something available to keep you happy when you look at most of the watches available right now. I saw a wrist watch the other day that's belts going in different directions to tell the time I was intrigued regarding how it works, it would be a real talking point at an event or together with your friends.

Initially people could only tell the time from sun dials which they placed over doorways of these homes or businesses, showing midday and the four stages of sunlight because it travels through the day, one other types of clocks for telling time were water clocks, not easy to move when you were on the move. In the 1500's with the invention of the springs, portable clocks and watches were produced. One locksmith from Germany Peter Henlein created the "Nuremberg Eggs" which could be put available instead to be hung from the wall, they only had an hour or so hand as the minute hand was not introduced until much later and they lost time because the spring unwound but these were popular with the wealthy individuals as these were a really portable timepiece.

With the invention of the humble spring the planet of clocks and watches took a giant leap to the forward. Men didn't wear wrist watches back in the 1800's these were regarded as too feminine and only ladies wore them. Men had a wrist watch on a string which they kept in the pocket of these vest which was called a fob pocket. Remember in the old movies, there would be someone standing at the train station taking out his watch on a gold chain from his fob pocket checking the time, today the fob pockets remain on the vest of men's 3 piece suits. It wasn't until someone tied one of these brilliant watches to his wrist with a bit of string so he could kept monitoring of time and keep working he asked a watchmaker to create a watch he could wear on his wrist, several lugs were mounted on the sides of the watch and a tie was put on so he could wear it.

It took quite a while because of this to recognition as the very first real use was in the military and watches were worn by soldiers so they could synchronise battle plans, check time without fumbling with a pocket watch, Soldiers wore watches in the Boer War and in WW1. After the Great War more men were wearing watches as they'd done through the war and it became recognised as a tribute to people who had served their countries on the battle fields so from now on women weren't the only real ones wearing watches. By 1920 it absolutely was fashionable for men to wear a wrist watch and new designs were being made by a whole array of watchmakers, glass faces were replaced with plastics, different metals were used for the casing, minute hands were added and the rest is history.

When I was child, watches weren't really worn by children unless you were from the upper class because so many families couldn't afford to buy their children a wrist watch, when out playing 1 day From the asking my friend what the time was but neither of us had a wrist watch so he pulled up his sleeve viewed his arm and said "A hair passed a freckle" and we burst out laughing, it shows how far we attended over a brief period of time. Just how many children have a wrist watch today?

The very first watch I ever got was back in 1960. Two sailors we knew had just returned from Singapore and brought these watches back for people as gifts I do remember they didn't last all that long maybe because I didn't understand how to treat or look after it properly, I probably over-wound it, breaking the main spring.

Many years later I was presented with another watch from a close friend of the household he was an American Pilot and it absolutely was a gold Bulova which I still have to this day although I don't wear it. Each time I see or consider it, I see the one who gave it in my experience, unfortunately he died a few days ago so he and his watch are constantly on my mind.

Its funny when you yourself have your wrist watch on, it becomes part of you, and you never give it another thought all day long, you check it quite regularly for the time doing this action without considering it. The other day you leave your watch off your wrist and all day long long you worry about where you left it and it nags you until it is back on your own wrist. Onetime inside my travels I was at the airport in Paris and wanting to freshen up, went to the toilets, took off my watch, and had a quick wash and then walked off leaving my watch behind. A few minutes later I looked to check the time for my flight and no watch. My heart sank, I hurried back to the toilets and thankfully my watch was still there on the basin - there are several honest people in the world. I had such a strong feeling of loss when my watch was missing for that short time, it confirmed simply how much the watch designed to me.

A couple of months later I was not so lucky. I was on a ferry travelling from Italy to Greece, the same thing happened, washed my hands, left the watch on the basin then went up on deck, I soon realised that I had left the watch in the toilet but now when I obtained back it absolutely was gone. I reported it missing and had it broadcast over the ships speakers but the one who took it didn't return it and I felt naked without it on my wrist, There clearly was a powerful feeling of loss, I suppose we all have feelings like this when something is taken away from us, something we treasure. So look after your Wrist Watches.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment